On the dating site, I came across the passage below in one of the journals there. The journal feature happens to be one of those unique places where people’s stupidity is displayed on a regular basis. I say this because like many websites, people confuse ‘boards’ as a substitute for real life. It’s so bad on the dating website that there are people who have actually met someone (meaning they’ve fulfilled the purpose of joining the site) but who continue to have membership and post on the boards (journals) there.
Think about that for a second...
It‘s not about friendship either because when you sit down and work it out, there’s nothing stopping these people from exchanging phone numbers, addresses and maybe even visiting one and other if they’re really friends. No, what’s necessary here is to have this little public dialog in a very safe forum. It’s just really fucking strange when you think about it and speaks so perfectly to the dysfunction of this society where people can build relationships with others across the country but don’t know their neighbor.
Anyway, aside from the usual crappy high school mash note that’s supposed to pass for someone’s stab at becoming the next great poet, I came across the entry by this nimrod:
Robert Moses State ParkNow, I read this drivel and it really incensed me. It did so because this is the kind of crap that springs forth from the pseudo intellectual, bourgeois nitwit that takes up residence in small closets in some fringe neighborhood of the city. I’ve run across this type before and so I wrote a response but it didn’t make the cut because this particular diarist (and I use the term loosely here) has set up her journal so comments have to pass her muster. I do that here to prevent Chinese spambots and the like from flooding the comments section but on the dating website there aren’t such worries, more likely it’s more a matter of not being able to deal with anyone who has an opposing viewpoint. So shortly afterward this was posted:
A few weeks ago, I took my aged little car out to the beach, out to the tip of Fire Island, where is located Robert Moses State Park. One can drive to Robert Moses, but then one can't drive to the rest of Fire Island from there. Where Robert Moses ends, but before the towns of Fire Island begin, is a wonderful black and white lighthouse, and a bird sanctuary. It is a wonderfully open place, uncrowded even on weekends in July.
I drove out, and took my beach chair to the beach in front of the bird sanctuary, found a spot, unfolded my chair, settled in, and noticed: that everyone was naked.
Lovely! People of all sorts and shapes strolling, lounging in the sun, playing those beach games. Even a couple engaged in some intimacy they could probably get scolded for.
I took off my bathing suit and dove into the ocean. Delicious! On that hot day the water was clear and cold.
The images of people who are naked and near naked in the media fall into such a narrow range of shapes. It is easy to forget the variety of forms that people come in, how their bodies change in different ways as they age, how some might be firm in some areas and jiggly in other areas.
There were quite a few gay men there, all buff and showing off for each other. And quite a few aging hippies, who honestly didn't care what anyone thought.And lots in between.
I gleefully thought about how Robert Moses would disapprove of this use of his state park. Hah! You old jerk who destroyed the South Bronx and wanted to do the same to the West Village! I wave my jiggly bits at your disapproving ghost!
I sat in my shaded beach chair, read my book and thought about what a lovely afternoon it was.
And took another swim.
A very rude commenter noted that the nude beach is actually a part of Fire Island National Seashore. While I dislike rude behavior, he is right about the jurisdiction of the area.Rude? Here’s the rude comment - judge for yourself but remember our writer spoke about DRIVING her car out to the Fire Island National Seashore and seeing as how Robert Moses was not only responsible for the construction of Jones Beach but many of the city’s bridges as well as the highways in Long Island it’s kind of funny how he becomes a target for this dimwit:
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Wow!That beach? That nude beach? I’ve been there, more than once and it’s been a nude beach since the late seventies so hearing someone talk about it as if it were some kind of radical event smacks of false bravado. You can’t go out there and not know it’s a nude beach, if you were just going out there you’d be more likely just to stay to the Robert Moses State Park beaches.
What an amazing post – amazing if only because your ignorance shines is on such vivid display.
First in your summation of Moses’ career solely as champion of the automobile meaning you fail to take the man’s impact on the region to heart (and the many parks and playgrounds he was responsible in building).
The irony is you speak of driving your car out to the park – most likely on roads Moses had the foresight to build exactly for the purpose of affording city dwellers an avenue to escape their urban environment and enjoy natural surroundings.
And the bird sanctuary? That would be the Fire Island National Seashore – a federal park outside the jurisdiction of the state and long known as a nudist beach (over 30 years now and counting). Big news flash there.
And truthfully if I wanted to be rude, I could have just commented on how the person should have been cited for indecent exposure because believe me when I say this is a person who without clothing was punishing those around her.
No comments:
Post a Comment